MPD Lt. John Alter of the First District's Vice Squad speaks during the November 13, 2007 PSA 102 meeting. (Photo Copyright © 2007. David Klavitter)
PSA 102 Meeting
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
Sherwood Recreation Center
Special thanks to Roger Mattioli for recording minutes.
A. Welcome – Dave Klavitter, PSA Citizen Coordinator and Lt. Barbara Hawkins, PSA 102, guests and officers.
B. Crime Stats: Volunteer, Roger Mattioli reviewed crime stats from last 30 days.
Lt. Hawkins Report:
• To date, five arrests for burglary; several good arrests in past week.
• Burglaries occurring in idle of week, breaking back doors and windows, taking laptops, etc.
• At least 20 burglaries have been closed over the past few months.
• Many officers were called in response to the IMF meetings and other such events.
• Lt says there is good communication between different shifts of MPD, U.S. Attorney’s offices and CSOSA.
• Lt. feels that good progress is being made re: robberies and burglaries.
• Orange hat patrols (groups of citizen walkers) on Wednesday and Thursday evenings.
• Homicide on 900 block of 12th Street NE in alley. Gunshot wound in chest. Close to being closed. No apparent ties to the community.
C. Lt. Review of Hotspots (Reported problem areas from emails, phone calls, etc.)
• 1100 block of H ST; 1000 block of 6th ST; 800 block of 10th ST alley; 600 block of 10th ST; 1200 block of Linden; 600 block of Orleans; 600 block of Pickford Pl.; 900 block of 12th ST
• These problem spots are often drug related
• Among the sworn officers assigned to PSA 102, the following foot and bike patrols have been assigned to specific areas within our community. These beats are based on 30-day crime patterns and projected fall increases, and were revised on 10/20/2007.
D. Current Beats
800-1300 block of H ST NE:
• MIDNIGHT SHIFT: Officers L. Cummings and K. McAbee
• DAY: Officers A. Williams and S. Ferris
• EVENINGS: Officers F. Caudle and K. Fersner
North side of H St. NE / 800-1000 block of 10th St NE, including I, K, L, and Kent Place NE:
• MIDNIGHT SHIFT: Officer K. Johnson (mountain bike)
• DAY: Officers W. Hanbury and S. Brown (footbeat)
• EVENINGS: Officers I. Thermidor and R. Mazloom (mountain bike)
800-1300 block of Maryland Ave NE, including 600 block of 10th, 11th, and 12th St. NE:
• MIDNIGHT SHIFT: Officers C. Harmison and O. Aremu (footbeat)
• DAY: Officer M. Creek (footbeat)
• EVENINGS: Officers M. Pitts and J. Knapp (footbeat)
E. First District Vice Squad Lt. John Alter
• MPD vice units target narcotics, alcohol, auto theft, weapons, untaxed cigarettes and other vice related offenses.
• Lt. Alter worked in PSA 102 area 20 years ago
• There is been a change in the way the vice unit is doing business. Focused mission has been replaced by the vice unit.
• In PSA 102 there have been 122 arrests this year. There is a five-year mandatory sentence if there is a weapon involved.
• The Lt. likes to review stats and plan accordingly, paying special attention to the close relationship between crime and drug activity.
• The vice unit has gone back to more traditional policing, gathering information, email and conversations with officers is helpful.
• Each PSA has 2 officers dealing with search warrants. In last three weeks, seven searches conducted in 1D.
• The vice unit power shift has a proactive approach.
• Residents are encouraged to call if they see anything suspicious (people coming/going frequently from home; suspicious car sitting in front of house, etc.). Don’t be afraid. Vice unit is looking for leads and needs the community’s help.
• There are six people in the 1D auto theft unit; 45 people in the 1D power shift.
• TAC unit to address particular type of crimes – burglaries, robberies, thefts.
• Residents expressed concern over prostitution at Parker Street NE. NSID group is responsible for handling prostitution issues.
• Residents expressed concern over inability of getting statistical evidence of drug and prostitution arrests in the PSA
• US Attorney’s Office distributed a report of papered cases of individual drugs, prostitution, etc.
• Lt. Alter provided contact information: email@example.com; 1D vice unit phone # 202.698.0562
F. Break out session – residents meet with MPD officers
G. Adjourned at 8:35 p.m. Next meeting is Tuesday, Dec. 11.